This is a super duper long post so you have two choices, grab a drink and a snack and get comfortable or look at the pictures and fill in the blanks ha ha. Actually that sounds like fun! If I was to tell the story of day one from the pictures it would go something like this:

One sunny day Lindy, Maxx, grandad and P went on holiday. Lindy and Maxx started the day with some facial exercises and hoped the wind didn’t change. Everyone boarded a ferry to Calais where they found a strange green bear, which was magical – it’s true! They looked around some strange shops, a lovely town square then visited a colourful windmill farm, the end.

Now on to the real story ha ha!

Some of you might know that I went on holiday last week to Brussels in Belgium, it was for 4 days and we drove there and back (by ‘we’ I mean my dad drove, thanks dad!) which was quite an experience as it was a looooong journey. Especially since my nephew Maxx 5 came along too and without his mummy since her passport didn’t arrive in time – boo. He has been on long journeys before traveling by car from England to Scotland and vice versa so we suspected he would be okay and we packed plenty of things to keep him busy. This included his tablet, things for drawing, my iphone to play games and we also has some fun taking crazy pictures of ourselves as you can see below ha ha.

Day One

photo (2)






Our first stop on our journey to Brussels was Dover where we were boarding the ferry to Calais. I decided to have a toilet break before getting on the ferry so went into the cafe/shop area, when I came back out and got in the car I had a feeling I had forgotten something. That’s when I realised I couldn’t find my phone *cue panic* I searched the car and couldn’t find it then it all came back to me and I realised I had left it on the toilet roll holder in the toilet cubicle arghhhhhhh. I quickly went back in to the toilet and couldn’t see my phone, I thought someone had picked it up and taken it. Thankfully I found an attendant and asked them if a pink phone had been handed in and amazingly it had! If you found my phone and handed it in and are by chance reading this then thank you, thank you, thank you my whole life is on my phone lol!

After that bit of drama we boarded the ferry and set off slightly later than planned. It was such a beautiful day we went on to the top deck and had our lunch whilst we watched Dover fade into the distance. After our 90 minute journey we could see France! As well as being my first time being on a ferry it was also Maxx’s first time being on a Ferry, he said he got sea sick but he didn’t, he loved looking out of the windows and spotting the other ships in the distance. It was a weird experience and occassionally I found myself stumbling along as the ferry bounced around the sea but it was a good experience overall and the ferry inside was lovely, a lot bigger than I expected. It was a bit like a floating shopping centre with all of the shops and cafe’s on board.

After a couple of hour drive from Calais to Brussels we met with the owner of the apartment who gave us the keys and told us how to get around and places to vist and such. We got settled in for a little while then decided to go for a short walk to get our bearings, we walked along the canal then round some of the streets and took some photos along the way. After a little while we headed back to the apartment, had our dinner and got prepared for day two of our holiday.

Day Two


photo (3)







On day two of our holiday we walked into Brussels town centre and had a look around at all of the shops and popped in to a few chocolate shops – yum! After visiting some shops we went on an open top bus tour which was lovely as it was a really nice day and it was lovely seeing the big sights and of course taking lots of photographs along the way, sadly Maxx wasn’t so keen and spent 60 minutes of the 75 minute tour sleeping ha ha but it was an enjoyable outing. After the bus tour we stopped at a small restaurant and had waffles and ice cream for our lunch which was absolutely delicious, although Maxx wan’t keen and only ate his ice cream. After lunch we decided to go on the other bus tour as the tickets we bought were valid for two different tours so we went back to the bus stop, climb aboard the bus again and set off to see the sights, this time Maxx did manage to stay away but I still don’t think he was too keen although he did like using the headphones to listen to the music and the person telling us about the sights.¬†After our second bus tour we made our way back through town to the apartment where we had our dinner and settled down for the night.

Day Three







On day three we didn’t have a concrete plan, but we had decided to go to the European Parliament and the Science Museum which has the largest collection of Dinosaur items in Eurpoe. We weren’t sure how we would get to the parliament building, we tried hunting for the metro but weren’t sure if we could get tickets on the platform or if we had to find a ticket office. In the end we went back on the tour bus as the ticket was valid for 24 hours, this meant we didn’t have to pay again and we got to see some of the sights again and got dropped off right outside the parliament building! We had a look around the parliament building where we were given an interactive headset and we learnt lots of different facts about Europe and the parliament. After we had finished looking around we headed to a cafe called London – adventurous I know! We had some lunch at the restaurant then made our way to the science museum which was only a 10 minute walk away after we found out where it was.

The museum was really reasonably priced to get in to and there was a lot to see. We mainly came for the dinosaurs as Maxx loves dinosaurs and he tells everyone he wants to be a palyentologist when he grows up but there were a lot of other areas to the museum which we looked around too. Maxx loved the museum and after we had spent a good few hours looking around we went to the gift shop so he could choose something to take home, of course he chose another stuffed toy a very cute little dinosaur and a model dinosaur bone. I had spoken English the entire time we had been away but decided to say thank you in French after paying for the items in the museum shop, I said Merci at the end of the transaction and he said ‘you’re welcome’ – well that was a let down ha ha! After the museum we struggled to find the metro station so had to ask some passers by who luckily were heading there too so we followed them to the station then headed off back to the apartment for the night. It was a really long day and we did a lot of walking but it was a good day and Maxx definitely enjoyed himself.

I have to mention the last photo for day 3, is it just me who thinks that dinosaur looks strange? It has a goatee!

Day Four







Today we were heading for home so the morning consisted of packing and getting ready for the long day ahead. Once we had packed we handed the keys back to the owner who lived right next door which was handy, we then walked through the market which covered a huge area, street after street was crowded with people and stalls it was such a lovely and friendly atmosphere. Our ferry wasn’t due to leave until 3:10pm so we all climbed in the car and set off for a small town called Ghent where we stopped for an hour to have a look around. As we had quite a long drive to the ferry we decided to find a toilet but we were struggling to find one until we came across good old McDonald’s, we all went up the 3 flights of stairs and went to the toilet only to be met by two women wanting money on the way out (note to self: You have to pay to pee at McDonald’s in Ghent). The toilets were very nice and clean though and they were very nice and gave Maxx a sweet, although I did forget about the old saying don’t take sweets from strangers lol – oops. After our visit to McDonald’s we headed back towards the car where there was a small flea market, there was some lovely things and some beautiful furniture which I really wanted to buy but unfortunately it was too big to take back.

After our visit to Ghent we set off again for the ferry, we arrived at Calais with plenty of time to spare so we had our lunch in the car as we waited to board. The return ferry trip took around an hour and 20 minutes, most of which we spent in the cafe at the front of the ferry so we could look out of the window. It’s really peaceful and calming watching the water and Maxx loved it. We got off the ferry in Dover and set off for our final stop – home! We made it back in good time and again Maxx was as good as gold in the car. He spent a little while sleeping (he falls asleep so quickly in the car bless him), we played some games and then watched a film – so good for his age and not once did he moan or ask if we were there yet.

I’m really looking forward to our next holiday, we should be finalising plans soon and we’re planning on somewhere a little bit hotter this time – woohoo.

What did you get up to over the Easter Holiday’s? Did you go away on holiday?