Spring is in full swing and Summer is fast approaching, you might be reaching for the sun cream and dreaming about beaches but give a thought to those who can find the Summer months a struggle. People who suffer from asthma, allergies and other respiratory problems often find the summer months can trigger their symptoms making it a tough time for them. It can be especially tough for young children who want to be outside playing but who can’t due to their illness.
If you suffer from asthma, allergies or another respiratory problem there are some steps you can take to try and minimise exposure to things that can trigger their symptoms.
- Minimize exposure to smoke, this includes cigarette smoke, BBQ smoke, fires, candles and any other forms of smoke.
- If you are planning strenuous activities outdoors for yourself or your child with asthma, allergies or other respiratory problems check the air quality on the Defra website before leaving home.
- Use allergy-proof bedding and wash bedding once a week to get rid of dust mites which can trigger allergies and asthma symptoms.
- Mould can trigger asthma symptoms but there are things you can do to reduce the risks. When having a bath or shower use an extractor fan, fix any leaking faucets, clean any obvious mould and use a dehumidifier if possible.
- As much as you love your pets if you or your children suffer from asthma pet dander can be a trigger so keeping pets out of bedrooms and off of furniture can help reduce the risk of triggering symptoms.
My sister has asthma so growing up I was always aware of the symptoms and what to do in case she had an asthma attack. It is important to know the symptoms so you can help someone if they have an asthma attack. The infographic below has a lot of useful information about asthma including the symptoms of an asthma attack. I was shocked to read that 3 people in the UK die due to asthma related symptoms each day, I was also surprised at the difference in the number of people who have asthma in different parts of the UK with Scotland having the highest numbers.