I moved into my home in May and since then I have been adding items of furniture to the rooms. I’m still not finished and need to purchase a dining room table and a few small items for the living room. Since I moved and started looking for furniture I have learnt a lot of tips on what to look for, where to look and how to save money on items I’m buying. I have shared some of those tips below in the hope that it might help you if you are looking to buy furniture now, or in the near future.
- Spend a little bit more on a few designer furniture items. For items you want to last years and not months you want to ensure you’re buying quality items, they might cost a little more, but in the long run you won’t have to replace them after 5 months so it will save you money. A few key designer items will also give your home the wow factor.
- Don’t be scared to buy online. Although it can be daunting buying an item of furniture online, sometimes it’s not possible to view items in-store so buying online might be your only option. Don’t panic. If you choose to buy furniture online make sure you read the description and measure the space the item of furniture is intended for to make sure it will fit. A big must is to make sure you read the reviews from other buyers as this will give you a good idea of any potential issues with the item.
- If you choose to buy online look for a discount code. Most websites will offer discount codes from time to time, so it’s always worth having a look before you place your order. Many websites will offer between 10% and 20% off or free delivery.
- Flat pack furniture is not as bad as it seems. I bought my bedroom furniture from Ikea and it arrived flat packed. The amount of boxes and bits and bobs does look intimidating at first, but work on one item at a time and have someone there to help you. As long as you take your time you won’t go wrong.
- If you’re buying items in-store then why not try to haggle. Most stores will haggle on the price, especially if you are buying a lot of items at once. You could get 10% or more off of your purchase or perhaps free delivery. Any saving you can make is money in your pocket to put towards another item you need. It’s always worth giving it a go.
- If you’re not in desperate need of the furniture you’re looking to buy then wait until there’s a sale. Throughout the year there are often sales, bank holiday sale, blue cross sale, black Friday and then sales after Christmas. If you can wait to buy your items in the sale you could save yourself a lot of money.
So, those are my top tips on buying furniture. If you follow the tips above you should hopefully find the perfect items and save some money along the way too.
Do you have any tips on buying furniture?