Is it your first time to visit the amazing Mediterranean island of Sicily? There are many of incredible things to discover on this magnificent island and a lot of things to do. Sicily has always attracted many tourists because of its great climate, history, scenery, cuisine and architecture . If you plan to visit the island for your next holidays, it is recommended to book your accommodation in advanced. You could opt for a local villa for rent that you can find through websites such as Wishsicily to make your stay more comfortable, quiet and charming. If you have no idea where to start your vacation, here are a few suggestions for the best places to visit.
- Palermo – You just can’t miss the capital city especially on your first visit to the island. This place is teeming with historical monuments, buildings and museums worth visiting especially for art, architecture and history lovers. Besides, you will truly experience Sicilian lifestyle and culture as soon as you go out on the streets. Visit some of the open-air markets such as Vucciria and Ballarò where you can find the freshest produce, taste finely baked breads and cheeses or just observe the rush as locals and tourists go about their daily businesses.
- Val di Noto – For an unforgettable experience of southeastern Sicily, it would be fun to include in your agenda the late Baroque towns of Ragusa, Modica, Scicli and Caltagirone. Visiting in spring will find you right in the middle of festival season.
- Agrigento – The fascinating Greek colony that was once located in this area is continuously remembered thanks to the presence of ancient Greek Temples which represent some of the finest examples of Greater Greece art and architecture.
- Taormina – This is widely known as one of the most beautiful resort towns of Sicily with its ancient Greek Theatre still used today. It boasts one of the most spectacular views of the sea and of Mt. Etna as well as a number of noteworthy architectural and historical buildings. Not far away is Giardini Naxos, famous for its fine beaches and luxurious beachside facilities.
- Etna – This is definitely one of the main destinations in the whole island. Excursions to the summit and craters are possible through the help of professional tour guides. Wine tasting and gourmet activities are also common in the area.