The Blue Mountains is a rugged region in New South Wales which begins about 50km west of Sydney. It also borders the Nepean River and Hawkesbury River in the east. The name Blue Mountains comes from a bluish haze from the many eucalyptus trees, adding to the amazing landscapes that the region is famed for. The perfect way to experience this region is by chartering a helicopter tour, as the Blue Mountains are best viewed from the air, and here are some of the attractions you can enjoy in this amazing part of Australia.
- Horse Riding and Hiking – There’s no better place than the Blue Mountains for some serious hiking, and with an experienced guide, you get to experience the breath-taking nature that only Australia has to offer. The horse riding is a particularly popular activity and it is a great way to spend the day. If you would like a detailed list of things to prepare for a hiking expedition, there is an informative list online that pretty much covers everything.
- Helicopter Tour – Booking a Blue Mountains helicopter tour online is easy, and once that’s done, you can relax, knowing you and your group will be collected from your Sydney hotel and taken to Sydney Airport, where the helicopter awaits. The 90 minute flight takes in the iconic Sydney Harbour and the Opera house, then sweeps you along the northern beaches of Bondi before heading off to the Blue Mountain range, which is a World Heritage site. This once-in-a-lifetime experience allows you to see the natural splendours of this mountainous region, and you should make sure you have your camera with you as the scenery is really something else.
- Full Day Hiking Tour – There are three levels of fitness, so there will be a group that suits you, whether you prefer a challenging hike or a more leisurely amble. The guides are very experienced and can take you through some of the most beautiful treks that take in the best scenery. There are many interesting coves and gorges to explore and the guides know all the best vantage points to take the best photographs. The tour provider would collect you at your Sydney hotel and after a two hour ride in the minivan, you would reach the spot where the hike begins. The drive also offers spectacular views and it is well worth taking some photos as you approach the mountain range.
- The Blue Mountains Cultural Center – This is a new edition and a very popular way to spend the day, with a detailed account of the history of the region that includes the art gallery and World Heritage Exhibition, which details the environmental preservation in place.
- Jenolan Cave Tour – If you would like to experience the wonders of the caves in this region, you can book with a local tour group who specialise in these underground guided tours. The town of Katoomba is the site of your first vantage stop, which is Echo Point. Then travel along the Megalong Valley to the famous Jenolan caves that feature underground rivers and amazing limestone formations.
Whether you decide to take the helicopter tour or hike your way around, there is something for everyone in this amazing region, which will surely be the highlight of your holiday.