I was recently asked to get involved in a fun campaign and make some DIY Beauty Products. The campaign #MiraMessMakers is a collaboration between Mira Showers and Midas Touch Crafts who challenged myself and a selection of other bloggers to create beauty products using items from our cupboards, and nothing more than tap water. I was pleasantly surprised at just how many products you can make using this brief!
I created 3 simple, yet fantastic beauty products and have shared the recipes below. I made two lip balms to help keep lips soft all year round, a lip scrub which is simple yet really effective and a face mask to help hydrate the skin to combat the cold Winter months.
The first beauty product I made was lip balm. The cold months play havoc with my lips, I have to regularly moisturise them throughout the Winter to keep them looking their best. If your lips are in need of a moisture boost why not give the lip balm recipe a try, it’s really simple and only requires 3 ingredients.
Ingredients: Coconut oil // old lipstick // Vitamin E tablet
- Add a tablespoon of coconut oil and a small amount of your old lipstick to a bowl.
- Microwave for 30 seconds or until the coconut oil has melted. You might find the lipstick hasn’t melted completely so at this point mix the content until it is combined.
- Cut the tip of the vitamin e tablet, empty the content into the bowl and stir.
- Pour the lip balm mixture into your lip balm pot or any suitable container.
- Let it set for roughly an hour and a half. You can speed up the process by putting it in the fridge.
- Voilà! You now have a lip balm that will see you through the Winter and keep your lips hydrated and looking their best. Apply regularly to keep your lips hydrated.
TOP TIP – The great thing about this lip balm is you can create any colour your heart desires. If you want a light shade add a little bit of the lipstick, if you want a dark colour add more, it’s as simple as that. You could even add a flavour such as lemon, mint or cinnamon.
My second recipe is for a sugar and lemon lip scrub. This is another simple recipe which requires only 4 ingredients and the end result is a great lip scrub that will keep your lips looking and feeling soft.
Ingredients: sugar // honey // coconut oil // lemon juice
- In a small bowl combine the honey, coconut oil and the juice from half a lemon.
- Stir in the sugar and mix until combined.
- Transfer the mixture from the bowl to a small pot.
- Apply to scrub to the lips and gently rub to exfoliate.
TOP TIP – You can add a colour to the lip scrub by adding a small amount of food colouring or lipstick to the mixture. You could also add a flavour – try cinnamon for a Christmas twist.
Avocado Face Mask
The last recipe I created was an avocado face mask which will help soothe, smooth and hydrate your skin keeping it glowing week after week.
Ingredients: avocado // honey // natural yoghurt //
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the stone. Remove the avocado from the skin and mash in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 tablespoon of natural yoghurt and mix until you have a smooth paste consistency.
- Apply the face mask, sit back and relax for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes wash off the face mask with warm water.
TOP TIP – You could also add a handful of oats to the recipe to create an exfoliating face scrub.
If you have enjoyed this post and want more DIY beauty ideas head over to Twitter and check out the #MiraMessMakers hash tag where there are lots of simple beauty product ideas and recipes.
Have you ever made your own beauty or skincare products?