A vacation in Italy, one of Europe’s finest countries, forms the dream getaway for many. For a relatively small country, there are lots of places to explore, things to do and food to try. Below are a few tips on how to get the most out of your holiday:
Pre-Book your Taxi to and from the Airport
Pre-booking an airport taxi service prior to your arrival in Italy is a smart way to avoid the hassle of long taxi queue and an extortionate price.
If you have done this, your taxi driver will be waiting for you at the airport arrival exit and he should be holding a sign with your name on it. Usually, airport taxi drivers are fluent in English, which lessens any possibility of miscommunication for your destination request. Prices will depend on your destination and the kind of taxi that you have requested.
Different Cities to Choose From
Here are some of the famous cities that you may choose to visit:
- Rome is Italy’s capital and is also the largest city in the country. It houses more than 2,500 years’ worth of historical sites, museums, churches and ruins.
- Venice is a city built on canals, which makes it unique and beautiful. It is also where the famous St. Mark’s Square is found. The whole city is built to be a symbol of love and passion, with its intricate and stunning Venetian architecture.
- Pisa is a city where the famous Leaning Tower is located. It is also known as Italy’s medieval city where 11th century structures and art can be seen.
- Florence is an Italian city that has inspired a lot of writers and artists. It is where you can see the masterpieces of Leonardo da Vinci and Michaelangelo. You may take a stroll on Florence’s cobblestoned streets and also check out the Duomo and the famous Palazzo Vecchio.
- Verona is where William Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet has been set. There are lots of well-preserved medieval castles, ancient piazzas and old churches to complete the romantic feel.
Tours to do when you are in Italy
If you want to make the most of your trip to Italy, you may book onto a tour to truly immerse yourself in the culture. You may choose to ride a coach or bus, a ferry or a train. Most of the tours include visit stops to historic cities like Rome and Florence. You may also choose to include a trip to the Pompeii ruins or explore the Vatican. Most of the tour packages include the accommodation, transportation fare and a tour guide.
Italian Food and Wine
In Italy, food is usually paired with wine. With more than 1,000 kinds of grapes in the country, Italy is known as the world’s largest producer of wine. Basic food and wine pairing rules are that white sauced pasta is paired with white wine, while red sauces are for red wines. Also, when eating, try to have a balanced intake of food and wine; it will create a gastronomic fusion that will give your taste buds an extraordinary experience.
Italian Coastal Towns
Aside from Italy’s historically rich cities, you can also visit its coastal towns and beaches. You may visit Positano and get to enjoy the stunning view of the Spiaggia del Fornillo beach. If you want to have a view where the mountains meet with the sea, try out Sorrento while sipping Falanghina on your terrace.
These are just a few of the hundreds of things you can do in Italy. Just make sure to sit back and enjoy this picturesque country’s stunning sceneries.