I really enjoy experimenting in the kitchen, even if it doesn’t always go to plan! As part of a blogger challenge I was asked to create a delicious brunch dish whilst incorporating one of Tabasco’s sauces. I received a few items to help me create my brunch meal, a mini frying pan, a plate, a wooden spoon, a spatula with my blog name on it which is super cute and of course a selection of tasty Tabasco sauces.
Tabasco have been spicing things up since 1868 with their range of sauces which now includes 7 delicious flavours; Red Pepper Sauce, Green Pepper Sauce, Chipotle Pepper Sauce, Buffalo Style Sauce, Habanero Sauce, Garlic Pepper Sauce and Sweet & Spicy – there’s something to tickle everyone’s taste buds.
Before I started the challenge I hadn’t tried Tabasco sauce so was intrigued to see what it tasted like and how it would work in a recipe (a bit of trial and error was required!). I had a small taste of each sauce and they definitely deliver a kick which is great as I enjoy spicy food. My favourite was the Chipotle Pepper Sauce, it has nice kick to it but also a lovely smoky taste.
Breakfast for me usually consists of nothing, which I know is terrible but I’m just not usually hungry when I first get up. On the rare occasions I do eat breakfast it’s usually a banana or cereal, nothing exciting. Brunch is definitely something that would be better suited to me as it’s a little later in the morning and is usually a bit more substantial than cereal or fruit.
As well as not usually eating breakfast I’m a pretty fussy eater and tend to eat the same food over and over until I’m bored then move on to something else. I’m trying to be a bit more adventurous with food this year and try things I wouldn’t normally eat so I thought I would use this opportunity to make something using eggs as I don’t often eat eggs.
I decided to create my take on a cooked breakfast with a twist after seeing something similar on pinterest. The outcome is a lovely brunch dish which incorporates some tasty cooked breakfast essentials including, toast, eggs, bacon, cheese and of course Tabasco sauce. It’s a quick, simple, yet delicious recipe that should be a hit with the whole family.
Makes 6 Savoury Breakfast Cups
- 6 slices of bread
- 3 rashers of Bacon
- 4 Eggs
- 12 tbsp milk or single cream
Salt and Pepper for seasoning
Parsley or chives for garnishing
- Pre heat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4.
- Grease a 6 hole muffin tin.
- Remove the crusts from the 6 slices of bread so you’re left with a rectangular shape. Roll the bread slices flat with a rolling pin then firmly press each one into the muffin tin.
- Cook the bread in the centre of a pre heated oven for approx 8 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
- Whilst the bread is cooking it’s time to make the delicious filling. Cook 3 rashers of bacon (more if desired), remove the fat and cut the bacon into small squares. Put to one side until later.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, add 2 tbsp of your favourite Tabasco sauce (I chose Chipotle for it’s smoky taste) then add the milk/cream and whisk until everything is combined. Add salt or pepper if desired.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan for around a minute then add the butter and allow it to melt. Add the egg mixture to the frying pan stiring slowly until cooked to your liking.
- Add the bacon to the scrambled eggs and fold together until combined.
- Spoon the scrambled eggs and bacon into the bread cups, sprinkle on some cheese and your favourite garnish if desired and enjoy!