ParaNorman is a stunning animation which is the 1st ever stop motion film to utilize full-colour 3D for replacement animation. The marvel concerns the misadventure of a young outsider called Norman who becomes a hero and saves his town.
The initiative provides a high calibre teaching solution (creative, exciting and fully integrated into the National Curriculum) for Year 5 & 6 teachers. It also provides a complete library event that engages 7-10 year olds, encourages research and promotes ParaNorman. The event is linked to the local community and cements the library within the children’s locality.
This is based around the idea that each community has their own local legend, ghost stories, folklore, oral history or unique characters.
In the classroom children will research or create these using history, geography, creative writing, art and drama. In the library setting this will take the form of an event using local stories and history as a starting point, inviting local historians, museums, actors and writers in to take part.
Teachers and librarians will use Norman’s tale as an example and using ParaNorman resources to illustrate their teaching/discussion points.
Participating groups will showcase their creative work (work that runs with the themes of ParanNorman) to Universal for a chance to win £1,000 of media equipment and funding for a children’s reading area makeover (libraries).
Suggested ways of doing this are creating an online album, writing a class ‘local’ newspaper, writing a play about their local legend, creating a mural, creating a storyboard or flick book for a stop-motion short story.
· Resource packs will be mailed out to participating schools and libraries. These will include the following:
- Covering letter with hints, tips and a drive to online resources for the teacher or librarian.
- Poster for classroom/event poster for library.
- ParaNorman giveaways (stickers, bookmarks, postcards, masks).
- ParaNorman Local Legends Reporter’s Notebook – a fully branded 8pp notebook with space for children to write their findings, draw and map their discoveries. This will also include an incentive to purchase the DVD