Do you love hosting a good party? Love Halloween? Enjoy a game of cludeo? or love a good mystery?
If you answered yes to any of the above then why not host your own murder mystery party. I have always wanted to attend, or throw my own murder mystery party, unfortunately I have been too busy this year to do so, but it’s on my list for next year, and I can’t wait. I have always thought it sounded really exciting, dressing up as a character, working out who the killer is and of course, in between there’s good food too.
I have done a lot of research into hosting a murder mystery party, there are so many different ideas on how to play the game and there are also a lot of great free resources online too. If you’re planning on throwing your own Murder Mystery evening then you might find the tips below helpful.
Murder Mystery Party Tips
- Pick your theme. Do you want to host a 1940’s party, a party with characters from your favourite TV show or movie? Or perhaps you have a unique idea. Once you have selected a theme you can choose props and costumes etc, even cater the party and story around the theme.
- Decorate for the occasion. You will want your party to look great and might even want to decorate your home to really set the whole atmosphere. I have seen a few items that would be perfect for adding a unique touch to a murder mystery party, one item I want to get my hands on when I host my party is the amazing murder rug from Modern Rugs (pictured at the top of this post). It’s perfect for a murder mystery party and would be a great talking point. It’s something like this that can really tie the whole theme and feel of the night together making it look and feel authentic.
- Decide if you want to create your own game, or whether you want to buy a murder mystery game to use. The concept is pretty simple so making up your own game isn’t out of reach. There are a lot of free resources online which you could use too, The Balance has a fantastic list of resources which includes free invites, party game script, costume ideas, clues, maps, name tags and more!
- Send out invites with plenty of time for people to prepare. Let them know if food will be served so they can decide whether they need to eat before. They will also need to know if they need a costume or if there’s a theme to the party.
- Don’t forget the food. You’ll want to feed your guests while you enjoy the party and try to work out who the murderer is. It doesn’t have to be a three course meal, unless of course you want it to be. You could simply put out a few snacks if you’re planning your party for later in the evening.
Most of all have fun! A murder mystery party is a great way for everyone to interact, play a character and have fun, it shouldn’t be taken too seriously.